Thursday, July 16, 2009

Dancing on the Edge of Library Square

It looks like I'm not going to get to very much of the Dancing on the Edge Festival this year. Performances wrap up this weekend, and I've got too many other commitments right now. Still, I did manage to catch Paul-André Fortier's performance of Solo 30X30 yesterday evening at Library Sqaure. Fortier has performed the piece around the world, and as part of his current residency at the Scotiabank Dance Centre (where he performed Cabane last month) he is collaborating with Dancing on the Edge to stage it here in Vancouver. The work's conceit is simple: every day for 30 days Fortier performs a rehearsed dance solo of 30 minutes at the same time in the same outdoor urban location. In Vancouver's case, it's the Robson Street plaza/concourse outside the main branch of the Vancouver Public Library at 5:15 pm.

My student Alana will likely have much more insightful things to say about 30X30 in relation to site-specificity, public performance, urban space, and place as pause (which I will duly report), so I won't bore readers with my own analysis here. Instead, I'll just leave you with some pictures instead:







P

No comments: